Donald Trump makes another claim over Operation Sindoor ceasefire, says 11 jets were shot down

US President Donald Trump has once again made a statement regarding India and Pakistan. This time, at the Board of Peace meeting, he made another claim regarding Operation Sindoor.

Last Updated : Friday, 20 February 2026
Follow us :

Washington: US President Donald Trump has once again made a statement regarding India and Pakistan. This time, at the Board of Peace meeting, he made another claim regarding the war between India and Pakistan during Operation Sindoor and the subsequent ceasefire.

What did Donald Trump say?

At the first meeting of the Board of Peace, Trump stated that he had averted a potential military conflict between India and Pakistan in May last year by threatening heavy tariffs on both countries.

He said, "I told India and Pakistan that if they fight, I will impose a 200 percent tariff on both countries. Both countries wanted to fight, but when it came to money, when it came to losing a lot of money, they said, 'Maybe we don't want to fight.'"

It should be noted that Trump has claimed on several occasions that India launched Operation Sindoor against Pakistan in response to the Pahalgam terrorist attack in April last year, and that his role in establishing peace between India and Pakistan was crucial.

In his recent address, Trump stated that the situation had become extremely dangerous at that time. An air battle was underway, and several aircraft were shot down. He claimed that a total of 11 fighter jets, which he described as very expensive jets, were shot down during the conflict.

Donald Trump said, "War had erupted. Planes were being shot down. 11 jets were shot down, very expensive jets. I called both leaders. I knew them a little. I knew Prime Minister Modi very well. I said, 'Listen, if you two don't resolve this issue, I won't sign a trade deal with you, and suddenly we had an agreement'."

What did Donald Trump say about Pakistan?

President Trump also claimed that Pakistan Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif publicly credited him, saying that he saved 25 million lives by preventing a war between India and Pakistan. Trump claims that the Pakistani Prime Minister told his Chief of Staff that President Trump saved 25 million lives by preventing a war between India and India.

Trump has made similar claims before and has repeatedly stated that economic pressure and his personal diplomacy played a decisive role in reducing tensions between India and Pakistan. However, India has categorically rejected these claims. The Ministry of External Affairs has denied any third-party mediation and clarified that the decision to stop the conflict was taken at the DGMO level of the two neighboring countries.