Press Enter to search
New Delhi: In view of the Ebola outbreak, the government on Sunday has issued a travel advisory and asked its citizens to avoid all kinds of non-essential travel to countries, including the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan. The development comes after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the situation a "Public Health Emergency of International Concern" (PHEIC) under the International Health Regulations (IHR), 2005, on May 17.
The government on Sunday issued an advisory for Indian citizens, currently residing in or travelling to Congo, Uganda and South Sudan and advised to strictly follow public health guidance issued by local authorities and maintain heightened precautions.
The Health Ministry has said in its advisory that in view of the changing situation in Congo, Uganda and South Sudan and the recommendations of the World Health Organisation, all Indian citizens are advised to avoid unnecessary travel to these countries until further notice.
"In view of the evolving situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and other affected countries, and in line with WHO's recommendations, Government of India advises all Indian citizens to avoid non-essential travel to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and South Sudan until further notice," the Health Ministry said in an advisory.
The World Health Organization has declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern.
India has not reported any case of Ebola disease caused by the Bundibugyo virus strain, the ministry added.
The ministry clarified that no cases of Ebola disease caused by the Bundibugyo virus strain have been reported in India so far.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has officially declared the Bundibugyo strain outbreak affecting Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of continental security.
Countries like South Sudan, which borders Congo and Uganda, have also been identified as high-risk areas for infection.