Top Indian News
+

Mumbai: Railway Clears 85% Encroachments In Bandra Amid Violence And Legal Dispute

The action to remove illegal encroachment by Western Railway is going on at a fast pace in Garib Nagar area of ​​Bandra East, Mumbai.

Nishchay
Edited By: Nishchay
Share This:

Bandra East Demolition Row: Railway Pushes Ahead With Action Amid Court and Public Protest (Image Courtesy: ANI)

Mumbai: These days the bulldozer of Western Railway is running at full speed in Garib Nagar, Bandra East. According to the officers, about 85% of the work has been completed. But as soon as the team reached there, the area became heated and people came out on the streets in protest.

What happened during the stone pelting and uproar?

As soon as the police and demolition team reached the spot, around 150 people came on the road. The anger was so much that people picked up stones and placed cement blocks on the road to stop the bulldozer. Seeing the situation worsening, the police had to resort to lathicharge. Three policemen were also injured in the stampede and lathi charge.

How many arrests so far?

Police have currently detained 18 people. The remaining miscreants are being identified from CCTV footage and videos. Police say that more arrests will be made as soon as identification is made.

What did the police say in the court?

During the hearing in Bandra Court, the government lawyer clearly said that this was not a sudden protest but a pre-planned conspiracy. Many serious sections including attempted murder, have been imposed on the accused. The police have demanded custodial interrogation from the court.

Why are Railways vacating this land?

About 500 illegal constructions are being removed in the eastern part of Bandra station. So far, approximately 5,000 square meters of land have been vacated. Railways says that this land is very important for laying the 5th-6th railway line and expansion of Bandra Terminus.

What questions were raised by local people and lawyers?

The lawyers of the families whose houses were destroyed raised big questions on the action. They allege that a mosque in the area was demolished without showing any documents. Lawyers claim that there was no mention of religious places anywhere in the Bombay High Court order. Many families have expressed displeasure over this action taken just before Eid.

What will happen next?

Western Railway says that this entire campaign is going on on the orders of Bombay High Court. Those families whose papers were complete have already been provided rehabilitation facilities. According to officials, this action may continue till May 23.

Latest News

×