Violent encounter in Kathua, J&K after terrorists attack home; One dead in gunfight

In Kathua, Jammu and Kashmir, a violent incident unfolded as terrorists attacked a residential house, prompting a deadly encounter with security forces. The clash resulted in casualties, with one individual killed in the exchange of gunfire. The operation highlights ongoing security challenges in the region amidst insurgent activities and underscores the risks faced by residents and security personnel alike in combating terrorism.

Top Indian News Desk
Follow us:
Courtesy: X

Union minister Jitendra Singh said on Tuesday that following gunmen opening fire on a residence in the Hiranagar neighborhood of the Kathua district in Jammu and Kashmir, one terrorist was slain in an engagement with security forces. According to preliminary accounts, the villagers of Saida Sukhal reported hearing gunfire and notified the authorities after spotting two or three militants nearby. It is said that the gunmen opened fire before escaping into the surrounding woods.

BSF takes action

To find the suspected people, the Border Security Force (BSF) and the police joined forces and conducted a joint operation in the region. The home of an unidentified individual in the village close to the international border was the target of a terrorist attack, according to Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh. Singh said he was in "constant online contact" with SSP Kathua Anayat Ali Choudhary, "who is on the spot," and in communication with DC Kathua Rakesh Minhas.

“The owner of the house that was attacked (name not to be disclosed) is also in touch on a mobile phone. Joint police & paramilitary operation are going on. One terrorist has been neutralized so far. I and my office are in constant touch and keeping a close watch on the developments,” the minister posted on X.

This occurred two days after militants in Jammu's Reasi region assaulted a bus carrying pilgrims, resulting in nine fatalities and forty-two injuries. Security officials believe that Lashkar-e-Taiba, a terrorist organization based in Pakistan, was responsible for the terror attack. Tuesday marked the start of the second day of intensive attempts to find terrorists, with 11 security teams on the ground and a multidirectional cordon around the Ranso-Poni-Treyath belt, according to officials.