Bangladesh has barred SpiceJet from using its airspace. (Image X @the_dream_saver)
New Delhi: Bangladesh has reportedly barred SpiceJet from using its airspace because the budget airline has not yet paid its dues. Due to unavailability of Bangladeshi airspace, the airline is taking longer routes for some flights, including from Kolkata to Guwahati.
When contacted, a SpiceJet spokesperson said on Thursday that the airline is in regular dialogue with the relevant authorities on operational and procedural matters, including navigation fees.
"These are common industry issues and we are working constructively to resolve them quickly. Our flight operations are unaffected and we are continuing our scheduled services in accordance with regulatory requirements," the spokesperson said in a statement.
“We are in regular dialogue with the relevant authorities on operational and procedural matters, including navigation-related charges. These are routine industry issues, and we are working constructively towards an early resolution. Our flight operations remain unaffected, and we continue to operate our scheduled services in line with regulatory requirements," the statement added.
While specific details were not disclosed, sources said Bangladesh has barred the airline from using its airspace due to non-payment of dues. The nature of the dues was not immediately available.
An email sent to the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) seeking comment on the issue did not elicit an immediate response. On Thursday, data from Flight Radar 24 showed that SpiceJet flights from Kolkata to Guwahati and Imphal were not using Bangladeshi airspace and were taking longer routes to reach their destinations.
In afternoon trading, SpiceJet shares fell nearly one percent to ₹16.81 on the BSE. Last week, SpiceJet reported a loss of Rs 269.27 crore for the three months ended December 2025, as cost overruns and one-time expenses took a toll on the budget airline's profits.
SpiceJet claimed in a statement later on Thursday that its recovery has gathered momentum in the last few months with the airline doubling its capacity in the last quarter.
"SpiceJet seeks to increase its capacity even more during the year, targeting 220 crore ASKMs by Winter 2026, while operating over 300 daily flights across its network. The expansion will facilitate the airline with strengthening connectivity, improving operational reliability and meeting strong passenger demand, while maintaining a disciplined and sustainable approach to growth," the SpiceJet statement said.
Debojo Maharshi, Chief Business Officer, SpiceJet, said, “Doubling our capacity in the last quarter has been a significant milestone, and the plans we have in place to more than double it further this year reflect growing confidence in the business and strong demand across the network. The receipt of this MoU is an encouraging development as we continue to rebuild and expand our operations in a measured manner. Our focus remains on restoring capacity, strengthening connectivity and improving reliability for our passengers.”
Copyright © 2026 Top Indian News