Terrifying video: E-bike battery blast in Surat home raises safety alarm

The footage begins with smoke emanating from a corner of a room, rapidly escalating into a raging fire. The person filming can be heard screaming while attempting to check on a family member. The fire is suspected to have originated from an exploding e-bike battery while being charged indoors.

Author
Satyam Singh
Follow us:
Courtesy: Instagram/iamsurattcity

A video is widely circulating across social media platforms, which reveals the aftermath of an e-bike battery explosion in Gujarat's Surat. Originally shared by a local Instagram account six days ago, the clip has gained over 16.4 million views.

The footage begins with smoke emanating from a corner of a room, rapidly escalating into a raging fire. The person filming can be heard screaming while attempting to check on a family member. The fire is suspected to have originated from an exploding e-bike battery while being charged indoors.

With the caption, the video was posted by Instagram user iamsurattcity. The caption reads, "Battery had a blast when charging. Don't make the mistake of charging the electric bike battery at home and see the results."
The incident has prompted diverse reactions online. While some viewers expressed shock at the fire, others focused on the circumstances surrounding it, questioning the decision to charge the battery indoors. Some criticized the individual for filming instead of prioritizing their safety.

Relatives provide context

However, a relative of the person in the video provided context in the comments section. Avani Zaveri Makwana clarified that the video was initially intended to document unusual noises emanating from the battery for the manufacturer's assessment.

"Guys, this is actually an original video from my brother-in-law's place. He started the video before the blast."

Makwana went on to reveal that it was recorded to show the weird noises that were coming out of the battery. He also said that he warned his mother, who was inside the room. In the video, his mother can be seen shouting from the window for help. Neighbors intervened to assist the affected family.

"So please stop making fun and learn something from it. He just shared the video in the police station, and some cop shared it to raise awareness," Makwana added.

The fire erupted unexpectedly during filming, prompting the homeowner to warn family members and safeguard valuables before the flames engulfed the room. 

Netizens react

Social media users offered varied comments on the incident, with one questioning the decision to charge the battery at home, while another criticized the act of filming during an emergency. Another user inquired about the brand of the battery involved.