Almora engulfs in wildfire after Nainital, claims three lives

Three laborers who lost life were from Nepal, one of whom was unnamed, worked at a pine resin (leesa) facility in Syunrakot, Almora

Top Indian News Desk
Follow us:
Courtesy: X (Rajan Chauhan)

After Uttarakhand’s Nainital, Almora was reported to be engulfed in fire. According to the sources, a thick layer of smog has covered the area, claiming three lives in the past 24 hours. Three laborers from Nepal, one of whom was unnamed, worked at a pine resin (leesa) facility in Syunrakot, Almora. Among the dead were Gyaneshwar Bahadur and the unidentified woman, who passed away on Friday, the day after being caught in the factory fire.

Another seriously injured has been admitted to the hospital for treatment. As per officials, the fire is under control and they are trying to identify the cause of the fire. 

According to the Uttarakhand Forest Department, this is the first incident of death due to a forest fire in the state. Since last November, 868 incidents of fire have been reported in the state, due to which 1,086 hectares of forest area have been affected.
350 FIRs registered so far

According to the data of the state forest department, the police and Uttarakhand Forest Department have so far registered 350 FIRs and arrested 60 people. Last week, an incident of fire in the forests of Nainital came to light where a residential colony in Nainital was in danger.

After the fire incident, the Indian Air Force took charge and doused the fire with the help of helicopters. Besides, army personnel and home guard personnel were also deployed to control the fire. The chief minister of Uttarakhand, Pushkar Singh Dhami also took an aerial view of the wild fire in Nainital.

According to Uttarakhand officials, it has been reported that some people were involved in most of the fires that broke out in the forests of Nainital and Pauri Garhwal last week. 

Almora Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) Deepak Singh said that the three victims have not been identified yet, but they are from Nepal and have been working here for the last 3-4 years. The reason for the fire is yet to be ascertained.